Wednesday 16 January 2013

Fashion Styling University Work Year 2



The first term of my second year of uni was pretty scary due to the amount of work we had been given, I always look forward to new terms as we begin new units of things that we have never done before. During my first year we had our first styling project which was based on denim, footwear and casual wear, we had to use our creative minds and create a fashion story. This project was what influenced me in making the choice in my future career of becoming a fashion stylist, so I was happy to find out styling was going to be continued into my second year.

My fashion styling project in my second year was based on diversity, things which aren’t seen in fashion magazines. For this project i-D Magazine was the chosen magazine which we were creating all of our work for, including a front cover, fashion spread and an interview page. The page layouts, typography and style of photography all had to match with i-D’s original layouts and such. During seminar sessions my group and I discussed our possible ideas and what we personally felt was diverse, many people had some very good ideas, things such as tattoos, piercings, elderly people, disabilities, scars etc.. I opted for something completely different and I focused on the subject of hair types. I decided to base my project on dreadlocks, my reasons for choosing this is due to the fact there is such a huge stigma towards the hair type as it is seen as dirty, unkept and untidy. As background research I looked at religious reasons to why people grew dreadlocks, researching the hippie movement and what dreadlocks stood for, also looking at the types of clothing dreadlocks are associated with. With these things in mind I wanted to develop a contrast between the element of hair and fashion, by doing so I came up with the idea of dressing my model for my fashion spread in clean cut fashionable clothing photographed in a studio to show the contrast between the two and prove that dreadlocks can work well within a high fashion spread in a magazine. As i-D Magazine is the chosen magazine for this project we also ha to create a front cover for the diversity issue, incorporating all of i-D Magazines trademarks and cover layout. 











No comments:

Post a Comment